
Hi to All! I'm trying to move into the 21st century. But it's a slow process. I'm totally swamped right now. So of course I'm taking out time to play on the computer;-o I am going to try to put up some pictures of my latest outdoor project
-- a greenhouse. I've wanted one for a long time. So, with my "flood" money, I bought a kit on clearance at Harbor Freight, right after Christmas last year. Two hundred dollars sounded pretty good for a greenhouse. Well, the first thing the instruction booklet said was to construct a base out of pressure treated 2x12's and 4x6's -- or -- pour a concrete slab -- or dig 4 holes and install concrete footers. I opted for the pressure treated wood because I don't like digging holes in my rocky ground. After $200 more for the wood, L brackets and bolts, I was ready to line the base with weed barrier, ABC rock and gravel. You guessed it the gravel etc. was another $200. So now my greenhouse is up to $600. I bought more pressure treated lumber and constructed 1 set of shelves for the plants. I didn't have quite enough to finish so I bought more wood -- $200 for all the shelves. Now I don't have a plant in it yet and already I've spent enough to buy myself a year's supply of food. After a trip to WalMart and Lowe's I have enough Jiffy Pots to grow 1000 plants. If I sell them all for $1 each, I'll have cleared my investment. Not likely, but it looks good on paper. (My preschoolers like it and that's worth a million.)
-- a greenhouse. I've wanted one for a long time. So, with my "flood" money, I bought a kit on clearance at Harbor Freight, right after Christmas last year. Two hundred dollars sounded pretty good for a greenhouse. Well, the first thing the instruction booklet said was to construct a base out of pressure treated 2x12's and 4x6's -- or -- pour a concrete slab -- or dig 4 holes and install concrete footers. I opted for the pressure treated wood because I don't like digging holes in my rocky ground. After $200 more for the wood, L brackets and bolts, I was ready to line the base with weed barrier, ABC rock and gravel. You guessed it the gravel etc. was another $200. So now my greenhouse is up to $600. I bought more pressure treated lumber and constructed 1 set of shelves for the plants. I didn't have quite enough to finish so I bought more wood -- $200 for all the shelves. Now I don't have a plant in it yet and already I've spent enough to buy myself a year's supply of food. After a trip to WalMart and Lowe's I have enough Jiffy Pots to grow 1000 plants. If I sell them all for $1 each, I'll have cleared my investment. Not likely, but it looks good on paper. (My preschoolers like it and that's worth a million.)
No comments:
Post a Comment